Sunday, October 7, 2007

It's a 3 Hankie Event!

Well, ok, maybe just one...

My daughter is getting married in 2 weeks!!!!! Ok, ok, calming down....Anyhow, she asked if I would crochet or tat or knit a little something for her to carry down the aisle. I got the idea to use a hankie that my grandmother had carried when she got married. It was linen, and she had tatted a lovely edge in white. My mother also carried it on her wedding day, but didn't add anything to it...

I bought some light wedgwood blue tatting thread, size 80 (very, very, VERY thin) and contemplated how best to add a row to her edging, while keeping hers visible. I quickly discovered that she had used an even thinner thread, so tatting joins would be difficult. I didn't fancy sewing on a knitted lace edging, so that left crochet.

I didn't want a huge ruffled edging as I wanted my grandmother's edge to be visible. I started and stopped about a half dozen times - I could have used a pattern, but I wanted it to be my own design. Finally, I hit on a simple yet elegant pattern and set to work. How long could it take to crochet a simple edge around an 8" square hankie, you ask? With size 80 thread and a size 13 hook.....about 4 days. Four. Long. Days.


Well, it was a good thing, as Martha would say, as it A) turned out beautifully IMHO and B) My daughter will have a bit of me, her grandmother and her great grandmother to walk down the aisle with her.

Her is a picture of the finished hankie:



And a close up of the edging, mine and my grandmother's:




The pattern, if you're interested, was simply chain 8 loops all around. The corners were dc, ch3, dc, ch3, dc. Next round was 6 dc, picot, 6 dc in each ch 8 loop around. The corners were 5 tr, picot, 5 tr. Then the completed hankie was gently washed in a little lavender shampoo and the ironed. No starch or stiffener was used.

3 comments:

fleasha said...

Don't laugh at me. This post brought tears to my eyes. How wonderful that your daughter will carry with her something with so much sentiment. How very honored she must feel.

Beautiful work, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! It made me cry several times while doing it, just remembering my grandmother, and also because I won't be able to be there when my daughter is married. Thank you for your kind words.

Anonymous said...

It would be lovely if your daughter crocheted or tatted herself, and then when the time comes to pass that on, she can add her own touch to it.

Nice sentiment!